We will be relocating our servers on Friday, October 25th starting at 6:00pm, to a new data centre. The move will take approximately 3 hours. We would prefer to make the move in the middle of the night, but there are various other parties involved in coordinating this.
It's important to note that we are not outsourcing anything. It's all the same hardware and network equipment, etc. We're just moving away from having it in the same location as our office.
Although we already have generator backed battery backup systems in case of a power outage, video monitoring, etc. the new facility goes a whole lot further with a specially designed building and higher end equipment.
Some key (and cool!) points about the new facility:
- Designed to withstand a 9.5 magnitude earthquake
- Designed to withstand hurricane force winds up to 135km/h
- Advanced camera surveillance system constantly observing the building inside and out
- Access via secure proximity cards and biometric readers
- Waterless clean agent fire suppression – CO2 and Novec 1230
- Pre-actioned, vacuum charged sprinkler system, means no chance of accidental damage caused from pipes leaking or rupturing
- Multiple UPS units providing clean, continuous power (battery back-up)
- Multiple onsite diesel back-up generators
- Transport Canada certified rooftop heliport in the event roads are impassable
For 20+ years we've kept our server room in the same location as our offices, so this is a bit of a change for us. But it's necessary as we continue to grow, and allows us to provide a better quality service overall.